The project proposal for a Climate Park and Mangrove Gene Bank at MaGyi, Ayeyarwady Division (PUR/01), is based on two year’s mangrove restoration research, in cooperation with Myeik University, Pathein University, Ministry of Environmental Conservation and Forestry by Worldview International Foundation.
This pilot climate park concept is for 1800 acres land to be restored with its original mangrove cover, including sustainable community development in local communities This research grants are to further develop capacity at Pathein University’s Marine Science Department, recently awarded Centre of Excellence by the Ministry of Education. It also includes support to Myanmar Forestry University/Department of Forestry for national follow up.
ADOPT A MANGROVE TREE (Link)
- Mangroves mitigating 3-5 times more CO2 than rainforest trees
- Protecting lives and properties from extreme weather
- Increasing sea food production with up to 50%
- Filtering and cleaning water
- Providing cooling effect and other vital eco services for life on Earth
- Helping disadvantaged in vulnerable coastal communities with sustainable development to overcome poverty
Discover how much CO2 you as an individual produce each year
Mangrove tree(s) in Thor Heyerdahl Climate Park in Myanmar mitigating1 ton per tree documented in the soil and in the biomass.